Sunday, October 14, 2012

EVs and more at the LeMay Car Museum

I made a trip to Tacoma Washington to see the LeMay Car Museum. You can find out more about this great museum here. It is really a treat to see this excellent collection of cars. Here are some of the highlights:
The EV1 with a Chevy Volt right behind it. GM killed it and then saved it! Thank you Bob Lutz.
The first Chevy Volt off the line. VIN #1 is prominently displayed in the window. History will show this revolutionary car started a new focus on electrifying transportation. Sales are picking up in 2012 and now approaching 2,000 cars per month placing the Volt in the lead when it comes to Plug-in Hybrids. I think GM needs to be more aggressive with new models based on Voltec. I know the Cadillac version will be out in 2013, but where is the small SUV version? The rest of the car industry is not standing still, as evidenced by, Ford's launch the new C-MAX Plug-in.
I was thrilled to see this 1967 MGB-GT. This is the first car I ever owned. I had a red one in high school and college.  It might be a sign of my aging that two cars I've owned are in a museum -- this one and the Volt. The museum signage said this MG was one of the first to have crumple zones to protect passengers in crashes. This was a fun car to drive, but I can't say it ever felt safe. I love British cars. But I've forgotten how undependable my MGB-GT was. I had to replace all the brake cylinder seals, the clutch (you have pull the engine to change it), the brakes, the head gasket, and the shocks. At one time I told everyone my goal in life was to make enough money so I wouldn't have to work on my own car anymore. I'm glad I realized that goal.
Jaguar XK140 coupe. Whether it is a coupe or convertible, this is such a masterpiece.

The Big Healy. I really like when people go with two-tone paint on these cars.

The Jaguar XKE. One of the most beautiful cars ever made.


The Sunbeam Tiger. These British cars with Ford engines are intriguing. It would be nice to have the easier-to-work-on-and-more-reliable Ford 289 than the British engines of the day.

A Detroit Electric connected to a charger for the garage. This was a scary looking charger -- exposed wires and a switch that looks like the one that brought Frankenstein to life. My Blink 240V looks and feels much safer.

A better shot at the Detroit Electric. LeMay had a whole section on Electric Cars that was a real treat.




2 comments:

  1. I had a chance to combine my two loves in life recently and had a two weeks' holiday in wonderful France, to which I had been before, and had loved so much. I took a little Renault rental car and headed off from Paris, to the Palace of Versailles, to Chartres then southward to sunny Provence, via the Auvergne region, with the Songs of the Auvergne playing repeated on the CD player.
    Magnifique, comme toujours. I saw many art galleries and followed the footsteps of artists, like poor Vincent Van Gogh. Back home all too soon, I ordered a canvas print from wahooart.com, choosing this painting by Cézanne, http://EN.WahooArt.com/A55A04/w.nsf/OPRA/BRUE-8EWNWL, to remember my trip by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those two vintage Jaguars would make the entire visit to the museum worth it for me. I love how you can see the evolution of Jaguars just between the two of them. I’m more partial towards the XKE. It’s so sleek and sexy. I bet it would look amazing in fire engine red.

    ReplyDelete